Coromandel Coastal Walkway
**For our Shorter Shuttle Special: Starts and finishes in Colville, please click here for details.
The Complete Tour: Starts and Finishes in Coromandel Town and covers a loop of the Complete Northern Coromandel Peninsula, as below:-
The ten kilometre Coromandel Coastal Walkway suits hikers with a moderate level of fitness and takes approximately four hours to complete. The route travels along a well formed bridle path once used by generations from days gone-by. Inaccessible by vehicles, this walk is the only way to link east with west, around the tip of the Northern Coromandel Peninsula. The surface and terrain of the Walkway are such that both young and old alike can enjoy our hidden gem.
Travelling with Coromandel Discovery allows you to access a remote part of the country where many rental vehicles are forbidden. Enjoy our interactive and personable commentary which includes a tapestry of maori legends, colonial history, local gossip and ecological restoration. Visit isolated villages as we traverse the Coromandel and Moehau Ranges with outstanding sea views along the way. The photo opportunities are endless.
Your self-guided, Coastal Walkway hike begins from Stony Bay around 11.15 a.m., with a gradual climb through pristine native bush with glimpses of the remote and rugged coastline. Pause for lunch, soak up the scenery and birdsong before you conquer the steeper section in and out of Poley Bay. Wind your way through an impressive sheep and beef farm with spectacular views to Sugarloaf, Great Barrier Island and Beyond.
Rejoin the minibus at Fletcher Bay as we travel to Port Jackson to enjoy refreshments and chocolate brownie or perhaps even a swim in the sea. Keen walkers may choose to add the cliff top Muriwai Walk to their day with its stunning views over the lively Colville Channel (can sometimes be time, tide and weather dependant and takes about one hour).
The homeward journey travels beside the island studded Hauraki Gulf with the backdrop of Mount Moehau towering above. Dolphins and orca can sometimes be seen just metres from the pohutukawa lined shores. Abundant shorebirds laze along the inner harbour as we pass through the iconic town of Colville. Your day concludes in Coromandel Town allowing plenty of time to dine out at one of town's delicious restaurants and reflect on a day to remember.
- Adults: 16yrs+ NZ$140.00pp. Children: 10-15yrs NZ$95pp.
- Minimum two passengers required.
- Starts and Finishes: 105 Wharf Road, Coromandel Town 8.30 a.m. to 6.00 p.m. approx. Check-in from 8.15 a.m.
- Please bring sturdy walking shoes, lunch, snacks, water, sun protection, insect repellent, swimsuit and towel. Our weather can be changeable so it is also advisable to carry a warm layer and a rain jacket. Topup water supplies available in the van. Oh and don't forget your camera.
- We advise our travellers to stay in Coromandel the night before and after the tour. This is a full day and can be tiring if additional travel is required to and from accommodation located out of town. It may be helpful with your planning to know Whitianga and Thames are approximately an hour's drive away from Coromandel Town.
- The steeper section totalling approximately one kilometre, down and out of Poley Bay is a challenge for some of our hikers. We can discuss this with you if you would like further clarification.
- Please advise in advance if you have any food allergies or food requirements.
Please contact us for bookings and for:-
- a copy of our detailed itinerary.
- bike options through our sister company Bush e Bikes.